- Drive the camshafts, which control the opening and closing of the engine’s intake and exhaust valves.
- Precise valve operation is critical to efficient engine operation.
- Timing belts are quiet, efficient and unseen, so they tend to be forgotten.
- Over time, they stretch, crack, become brittle and will eventually break.
- Carbon deposits from combustion contaminate the tips over time, reducing efficiency.
- Breakage will stop your engine dead and could cause major internal damage.
Timing belts should be replaced according to the manufacturer’s required maintenance schedule or whenever required.
- Timing belt replacement involves a considerable amount of engine disassembly.